Dorothy Jean Coates Scholarship Foundation Fund
Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, OtherThe Dorothy Jean Coates Scholarship Foundation Fund benefits nontraditional students enrolled in a college or university.
Dorothy Jean Coates completed her high school diploma through night school after the birth of her five children. She later enrolled in Northern Virginia Community College, taking one course per quarter while maintaining a career and family, graduating with an AS General Studies degree. Dorothy enrolled in MWC after graduating from NVCC to continue improving her education attainment until her death in 1998. She was truly a life-long learner.
AmountOne non-renewable scholarship of $1,000 to $2,000 is awarded each year.
- Preference will be given to “nontraditional” applicants, defined as meeting one or more of the following criteria determined by the National Center for Education Statistics:
- Student attends college part-time
- Student works full-time while in school
- Student has delayed enrollment into postsecondary education
- Student is recognized as financially independent for financial aid purposes
- Student has dependents other than a spouse
- Student is a single parent
- Student passed a General Education Development (GED) exam or earned a certificate of high school completion instead of receiving a standard high school diploma
- Preference will be given to applicants attending Northern Virginia Community College.
- Applicant must clearly demonstrate the unique challenges associated with them returning to school.
Eligible students should contact Richard Coates at email@example.com.